Sunday, September 25, 2016

A Historic Moment

Celebrating the signing of the Bilateral cease fire between the
FARC and the Colombian government in June 2016.
As a kid I always thought historic moments happened in the past or very far away. I’ve would learn about them in school or see them on the news from around the world. But never have I felt that I am in a historic moment. Never in my life have I felt like the earth is moving, that history is happening, really, truly happening before my eyes.

Tomorrow, Santos, the president of Colombia, and Timochenko, the leader of the FARC guerilla group, will sign the historic peace accords, ending a 52-year armed conflict. Then, in exactly one week from today, Oct. 2, Colombians will vote in a plebiscite to accept these accords or not.

The violence has been caused by many armed groups, the FARC, the military, paramilitary groups, other guerilla groups. This is a complex situation and these accords are not a magic solution to all the challenges that face Colombia. But these accords will demobilize the largest armed group in the country (not including the military). In the media we have heard many versions of the phrase, “an imperfect peace is better than perpetual war,” or “better to have dialogue than to have deaths.”

All around Bogotá, and Colombia, people are campaigning, “¡Sí a la paz!” “Yes for peace!” And in the news and on the radio every day we hear someone saying, “No,” these accords will not bring peace. This is a complicated subject and I know people who will vote yes, and some who will vote no. 

I am foreigner. I have chosen to live here now, but I will never be able to understand the depth of the impact the armed conflict has had on the Colombian people. So I listen (or try to).

Today in church the theme was peace, “Pan y Paz” (bread and peace), a theme continued from last week in honour of the International Day of Peace (Sep. 21). During the sharing time several people gave testimonies of the impact of the violence in their lives. There was a testimony of thanking God for years ago, when the armed men didn’t kill an uncle or his family, just an associate in front of them. Another testimony was of growing up living in constant fear of violence, of seeing it around them every day, of a neighbour being shot. A gentleman shared the story of the intense persecution his father faced when he joined the Mennonite church over 60 years ago. Through my husband’s family I’ve heard stories of people being killed in front of children. The stories of violence and suffering that have happened over the past 60+ years are overwhelming, and the truth is I am sheltered from most of them.

But what most impacts me are not the stories of suffering, but of resilience. In church I am surrounded by people pouring out their hearts in worship, by people who pray and hope for peace year after year. In spite of the years of trauma and hurt, their trust in God has given them a joy and a faith that moves them forward. It’s a community that uses their hands and feet to work for peace and justice in the name of Christ. Through connections with churches and Mennonite organizations I have met so many Colombians who haven’t stopped working for peace for decades. They keep on striving for peace, with faith that peace is gospel.

Justapaz marching for peace. 
I am married to a Colombian. His future, the future of his country, is now bound with mine. Isaías was born into a time when the FARC was fighting against the Colombian state. His entire life he has only known this armed conflict; his mother was just a child when it started. He told me that the effects of war, death and killing, have been so common that sometimes he’s become numb as a way to cope. It moves me to tears to think that he, his family, the new generation of his niece and nephew, could know peace in their country.

So we join with so many Colombians who say, “¡Sí a la paz! ¡Obvio que sí!” and we ask that you join us in prayer. Pray that the people of Colombia choose to take this step. This is not the final step, but it is a huge one. It’s historic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment