Thursday, October 23, 2014

These acts were driven by hatred, but also designed to drive us to hate. They will not.

Yesterday I listened to news, to CBC News livestream from Canada. Breaking news all day, told in a calm factual way, an attack in Ottawa, my nation’s capital. Nothing like this has ever happened in my country in my lifetime. It’s tragic, horrifying, and will greatly affect my country. The question that faces us is, how will it affect us?

I went on twitter. I saw the latest information from various news agencies and a myriad of comments from regular people. It saddened me to see many hateful comments against Islam, against Muslims, before the identity of the shooter had even been released. Before any information on motive had been given (still hasn’t) so many people assumed they knew what it was, and used these assumptions as reason to write hateful things.

My heart is sad. I am sorrowful at what has passed. I grieve for the lost, for all the people who were and continue to be affected by this horrific violence, as the effects are ongoing. Yet I hope and pray that these awful events do not lead us to hate.

Three days ago in my Colombian church, the sermon was about reconciliation, reconciliation in Colombia.

In a country that has tried unsuccessfully for over 50 years to end violence with violence there is a lot of pain, a lot of hurt, a lot of wounds. Thinking about reconciliation is clearly a biblical call (we discussed the example found in the book of Philemon), and it’s hard. To work for reconciliation, for right relationships, where there is such hurt and pain is incredibly difficult.

The point from Sunday’s sermon that really stuck with me most, was that if the church in Colombia wants to be able to work for reconciliation, they need to love everyone involved in the conflict. Everyone. Yes, that includes the victims, but it also includes the perpetrators. That includes the army, the guerillas, the para-militaries, all of whom are responsible for countless deaths, destruction and ruining lives. How can you love everyone?

Jesus called his followers to “love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you” (Mt. 5:43). He doesn’t say that this will be easy, but this is his command.

And now today, I can’t help but think of the church in Canada. What will our actions be? As many respond in fear, anger and hate, what will we do? Will we go along with whatever is suggested? Or will we love everyone involved? Can we love the victim and the shooter? Can we pray for both families that lost sons yesterday? If our government moves forward with increased violence is other parts of the world, will we support violence to end violence? Or is there another way to confront evil?

Last night I listened to our Prime Minister Harper give a short speech, calling to redouble our efforts, saying that Canada will not be intimidated. And then I heard the leader of the opposition, Thomas Mulcair speak. His speech had a different tone; he has a different role in our country’s government. His speech resonated much more with me. The line that stood out the most was, “These acts were driven by hatred, but also designed to drive us to hate. They will not.”

This is my prayer, that these horrible acts do not drive us to hatred, but that the church can stand up, can stand together, with love for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment